What Can a Photo Tell You?

#52ancestors Week 3 and I can't believe I am still managing to make the weekly deadline. The theme for this week is "Favourite Photo".  I don't have a large collection of Messervy photos and to be truthful, some of my favourite ancestral photos are from other lines of my personal heritage.  Having said that, I have always been drawn to this photo* of Herbert Louis Messervy and his brother Albert Frederick. 

Albert Frederick Messervey(L) & Herbert Louis Messervey (R)

Albert is on the left and Herbert Louis on the right, sitting on a very rickety looking handmade bench.  I do not know the location as it seems to be rural and the brothers were urban residents for the most part.  I think that they both look a bit dapper and Louis betrays his hairdresser occupation with his very well-groomed hair - I'm afraid that Albert has less hair to style!  Albert is looking away from the camera, and may suggest he is not happy to have his picture taken, or is of a reserved personality.  Louis (my great-grandfather), however, looks straight at the photographer with a pleasant smile under that moustache popular in the era, and his eyes are engaging you. It would be interesting to know who did take the picture, as Herbert's expression suggests somebody close to him and with whom he has a comfortable approach.  Am I reading too much into this - I don't think so. 


Albert looks older than Herbert, although he is actually three years younger. Perhaps it is that more reserved manner that comes across in the photo.  I have no date for the photo, but the two men look to be in their fifties.  Unfortunately, both men died in their early sixties.  Looking at examples of menswear from 1890-1900, their mode of dress seems to fit the era.  The hats, the suits, the collars and ties. Being in Halifax, where there was a bit of a lag in the latest fashions, could be 1910ish. 



Take a second look at some of your ancestral photos and see if any speak to you to tell a story about the person (s) in the photo.  From the photo above, I am pretty certain I would have liked my great grandfather. 



Clearly this is not the original photo but has been colourised and enhanced through the web-based tool on My Heritage (a genealogical and DNA website): myheritage.com. Note that I have a paid subscription to MyHeritage and have complete access to the photo service.  At one time, the company offered free access for up to 50 photos but I am not certain if this still exists.   

Comments

  1. I love this photo and your ponderings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing I like better than letting the mind ponder! Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Military Man - Sir Frank Walter Messervy

John Herbert "Bert" Messervey - A life too short

The Jersey Messervy Latter Day Saints